In order to increase the cooperation and understanding between the people of China and other countries, develop outstanding international talent and improve the perception of China's higher education, Shanghai Maritime University (SMU) is opening application for full-time studies under the 2016 Chinese government scholarship program.
The application method is as follows:
● Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and in good health;
● Applicants should be high school graduates under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs;
● Applicants should be bachelor’s degree holders under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs;
● Applicants should be master’s degree holders under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs;
● Applicants should be under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study when applying for general scholar programs;
● Applicants should be master’s degree holders or associate professors (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for senior scholar programs.
● Applicants must not be attending a Chinese university at the time of application;
● Applicants should not hold a scholarship of any other category from the Chinese government.
● Chinese citizens who apply to study abroad as an international student after they have immigrated to a foreign country must hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for four years or more. Applicants should provide proof of residence abroad for more than two years.
● Exemption from tuition fee,
● Basic learning materials fee,
● On- campus accommodation,
● Living stipend (Undergraduate students RMB2500/month, Masters students 3000RMB/month, Doctorate students RMB 3500/month)；
● Medical insurance (outpatient expense in the University’s hospital or the hospitals appointed by the University) and Chinese Government Scholarship Foreign Students Medical Insurance.
● For more information, please consult the Chinese Government Scholarship Council Webpage at www.csc.edu.cn
Field of Study: All Degree Programs 2019
30 April, 2019
How to apply
Procedure of independent enrollment through SMU (SMU has a very limited number of places for independent-enrollment CSC students.)
● Consult the program introduction and select majors to apply for;
● Fill in the Chinese Government Scholarship Application Form and SMU application form, and prepare all the required documents;
● Send photocopies of all required documents to email@example.com, and then deliver the original documents to SMU campus. (These documents will not be returned to students);
● Send medical examination report.
● SMU will select the final candidates and issue Offers of Admission to admitted students directly at the end of June.
Procedure of Applying through CSC
● After preliminary approval by SMU, Chinese Government Scholarship (Conditional) admission notice will be issued.
● Applicants are to send all their documents including their (Conditional) admission notice to the dispatching authorities (usually Chinese consulate or Embassy);
● Dispatching authorities (usually Chinese consulate or Embassy) will send applicant documents to CSC for processing;
● CSC will review scholarship application and send the Scholarship offer to awarded applicant.
● Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship. (Please go to https://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn or www.campuschina.org and click ‘Application Online for International Students’, complete the required information in Chinese or English, submit the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship online; SMU Agency number is 10254).
● Notarized highest diploma (photocopy): Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
● Academic transcripts: Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
● A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)
● Recommendation letters: Two recommendation letters preferably from academic institutions and government supervisors (in English); For doctoral applicants they MUST have one recommendation letter from the prospective SMU supervisor they wish to research under and the other recommendation from their previous university; Applicants are to ONLY use SMU’s Recommendation Letter Form for International Student Applicants (see downloaded link below)； Scholarship applicants should upload the completed forms on the website and attach the original copy when mailing the documents.
● Certificate of attestation issued from your school; Applicants are to ONLY use SMU’s Certificate of Attestation for International Students form (see downloaded link below)
● Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.
● Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (the original copy should be kept by the applicant. The form designed by the Chinese quarantine authority can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org ). The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
● Applicants with (Conditional) admission notice from SMU should enclose the letter in the application package.
● Applicants with valid HSK level-4 certificate or above (for Chinese-taught program); TOEFL 80 or IELTS 6.0 (for English-taught program) Certificate should enclose it in the application package.
● Medical examination report.
1. The above documents should be bound on top left corner (in duplicate). No application documents will be returned.
2. Click here for SMU forms for Recommendation and Certificate of Attestation.
International Education College
Shanghai Maritime University
Room B808-1, Library Building,1550 Hai Gang Avenue, Lin Gang New City,
Pudong District,Shanghai , 201306