|< JUNE >||< 2018 >|
In order to further the development of international student education and recruit more international students to study in Shanghai, the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission set up the Shanghai Government Scholarship for International Students (SGS) in 2005. It offers funds to prospective international students applying for degree programs at universities in Shanghai. The details are as follows:
The SGS is divided into two categories:
SGS Class A (Full Scholarship)
Class A offers funds only to prospective students applying for graduate programs. It includes exemption from tuition and accommodation fees; comprehensive medical insurance; monthly living expenses of RMB 3000 for master’s candidates and RMB 3500 for doctoral candidates.
SGS Class B (Partial Scholarship)
Class B offers funds to prospective students applying for any degree programs. It includes the exemption from tuition fees; comprehensive medical insurance.
April 30, 2018
Field of Study:
Catalog of Degree Programs 2018
● Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
● Applicants must meet the following education and age requirements
- Applicants for undergraduate studies must have graduated from high school and be aged between 18 years and 25.
- Those applying for master's programs must have a bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35.
- Those applying for doctoral programs must have a master's degree and be under 40 years of age;
● Applicants must have excellent grades, outstanding academic and overall performance;
● Applicants must not be currently receiving any other kinds of Chinese scholarships.
● Application Form : SGS Application Form for International Students (see attachment);
● Degree certificate( for master and doctoral degree program applicants), diploma or official proof of expected graduation (the diploma or certificate must be in Chinese or English with official school stamps or a notarized version in Chinese or English);
● Relevant transcripts (transcripts must be in Chinese or English with official school stamps or a notarized version in Chinese or English);
● Language certificate:
- Chinese-taught program: Applicants should hold New HSK 4 or old HSK 5 certificate. (If applicant’s official language is Chinese or their last program was taught in Chinese, this is not required);
- English-taught program: Applicants should hold TOEFL 80 or IELTS 6.0 or above certificate (If applicant’s official language is English or their last program was taught in English, this is not required);
● Passport and passport-sized photo;
● Medical examination report.
Master’s and doctoral candidates should also include:● Two recommendation letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English);
● Statement of purpose - Around 1000 words for master’s degree candidates; around 1500 words for doctoral candidates. Topics to cover: study and work experience, academic research results, planned research proposals and personal development objectives after graduation;
● Catalog and abstracts of published papers, as well as other documents that can prove academic ability.
Application procedure and evaluation
● Applicants should first apply online at the website www.study-shanghai.org, and then send their original documents to the International Education College (IEC) by post before the application deadline;
● Complete applications that meet all the above listed requirements will be transferred to the related colleges and departments for further evaluation;
● After receiving the evaluation from relevant colleges and departments, the IEC will hold a meeting where members of the Scholarship Committee will finally evaluate all scholarship applications. The results will then be posted on the IEC website by the middle of June.
SGS annual review
● All scholarships are awarded for the normal duration of full-length degree programs, namely four years for undergraduate candidates, two years for master’s candidates, three years for doctoral candidates. Students who suspend their studies or fail to graduate within the normal period will not have their scholarship extended.
● The scholarship committee will perform a comprehensive annual review of scholarship recipients' academic records, learning attitude, performance, awards or punishment received. Students who fail to meet the requirements will have their scholarship status suspended or canceled.
International Education College
Shanghai Maritime University
Room B808-1, Library Building,1550 Hai Gang Avenue, Lin Gang New City,
Pudong District,Shanghai , 201306